Monday, September 27, 2010

If You Want To Destroy My Sweater



This entry is going to be about commitment. It's about loyalty and big decisions. This all came about when I realized it was finally time for me to invest in a new hockey jersey. The one I have worn for the last six years is pre- new Lightning logo. It's pre- Reebok dry fit aerodynamics. It's got Andre Roy's name and number on it. And he hasn't played for the Lightning since 2008. It was my first personalized jersey and I had a three year adventure getting it signed. I have a lot invested in that piece of fabric. It isn't signed by a superstar, but it is priceless to me. But the time has come for a new one.

This train of thought led me to a certain process of elimination as to whose name and number will go on the new one. Everyone who knows me knows I love the hockey players who drop the gloves and fight. Hence the Roy jersey. It's also a fact of the game that enforcers tend to be journeymen throughout their careers. Andre Roy did two stints with the Lightning with a fair amount of time in between, so career longevity is definitely something to consider when selecting a player for your new sweater. As much as I love enforcers, jerseys have gottn so expensive the only way I'll get a goon on my back is if I win one for free. Longevity is a big factor in my decision.

Another factor is the numbers themselves. Towards the end of last season, I toyed with getting a Ryan Malone #12 jersey. This summer, the Bolts brought in Simon Gagne from Philly. Gagne has worn #12 throughout his career as well. It turns out that Malone gave Gagne the number and will now be playing while wearing #6. A friend of mine won a Malone jersey at the silent auction table late last season and now she's pissed. Understandable so.

Choosing a new personalize jersey is a big deal. You want to get as much use out of it as possible. Even after you get it signed and reverently wash it in the bathtub with Woolite to protect the autograph. I have been thinking long and hard about my new jersey. And why not? It's almost like entering a new relationship. My Andre Roy jersey may be headed to the back of the closet, but it will always have a place in my heart. My future Victor Hedman jersey? Can't wait for our first date.

No comments:

Post a Comment