Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It Feels Like Years Since It's Been Here


Photo by Jim Davis / Boston Globe. Used without permission

I was absolutely transfixed by this photo on Boston.com. It looks like a painting. All of the bright promises of spring training when the ball players take the field for another summer. I write about hockey a lot. It's no wonder, I have season tickets to the team in the city where I live. I attend a lot of the events. My hockey fandom is like punk rock. Fast, passionate, unpredictable.

But come February, an old love always comes back into the picture. Baseball was the first sport I learned to love. And my heart is so glad seeing the Red Sox on the green grass in Fort Myers. Their return has also brought me the first spring pictures of Jason Varitek. Which is always a good thing. It wouldn't be quite the same if he were in another team's uniform.

The Boston media is swirling and there are some trying to stir up controversy already. I'm not paying any mind. Baseball is back. And it doesn't get much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment