Saturday, February 12, 2011

Why I Hate "The Wave"


Photo by Me


There are a few things in the sporting world that I hate with a real fiery passion. The New York Yankees. The New Jersey Devils. The Instigator Rule. An old nemesis has recently come to the forefront again since it has been performed en masse at the past two Lightning games. That's right. The Wave. Apparently it's the 1980s again and no one told me. I hate The Wave in football. I hate it in baseball. For a while, hockey has been safe out of it's grasp. But now? Now nothing is sacred.

I know what you're thinking. "But The Wave is a fun thing to do to pass the time at a sporting event!". And sure, it might be fun for you. However, if I am sitting behind you trying to watch the Lightning bring the puck into the offensive zone and take a shot on goal I want to see it. I don't want to see your back and arms waving around just as Steven Stamkos lets loose on the puck. The same goes for baseball. Some of us find the sport interesting and want to pay attention to the pitches or the at bat. It's disrespectful to your fellow fans who also shelled out their hard earned money for their ticket. I'm also pretty sure that you came to the stadium/ballpark/arena to watch the event. Not to do the wave. SIT DOWN.

Not to mention, I think it's pretty disrespectful to the players on the field or ice who are busting their asses for your entertainment. To me, the wave says the crowd is looking for other ways to pass the time because what's going on in the game is boring. At tonight's game, the wave made several passes around the arena before dying out when Marty St. Louis broke into the Carolina zone with the puck. Hockey moves fast, you should pay attention in case you miss something. SIT DOWN.

It's 2011. The Wave is high entertainment value for you? Really? SIT DOWN.

No comments:

Post a Comment