Thursday, November 25, 2010

When Friends Rejoice Both Far And Near, How Can I Keep From Singing?


According to the audience tab on the statistics page of my blog, I have visitors from all over the world. Which is pretty intriguing to me, especially all of the readers from Scandinavian countries or Eastern Europe. Anyways, for you guys today was just another Thursday. Here in the USA, it's Thanksgiving. I spent the afternoon with family and lifelong friends, enjoying a lot of great food and drink. Then falling asleep during a football game, waking up and eating some more. Thanksgiving is a lot less commercial than the coming Christmas season because it's about food and togetherness and remembering all of the good things we have in our lives. Since this is a sports blog, it's time to do a run down of things I am thankful for in relation to my teams.

1. Steven Stamkos. I could just stop there. The first half of his rookie season was a rough ride, but he has turned into one of the best players in the league in such a short amount of time. Watching him try to go for 50 goals in 50 games has been so insanely entertaining. I can't wait to see what happens next.

2. Martin St. Louis & Dustin Pedroia. Pedie was out for a while this season, but his presence and attitude was definitely still there. I could have just named this one "The Little Badasses". Marty is the heart and soul of the Lightning lockerroom and I honestly believe he is playing better than he ever has at the age of 35. It's just my opinion and I know there are some who would disagree, but I think he should be the captain of the team. Oh, and just so I don't have to throw in another bullet point, I am thankful for Marty and Stamkos playing on the same line. Stamkos' skill is putting the puck in the net, but Marty has incredible vision on the ice and his passes make a lot of them happen.

3. Jeff Vinik & Steve Yzerman. This one could also be labeled as "OK Hockey and Brian Lawton getting the boot!". Things are turning around on the ice and everywhere else in the Lightning organization. It's wonderful to see and makes me very proud as a fan.

4. The 2010 Boston Red Sox. Yes, the losses and string of improbable injuries were maddening. I was pretty sure they had given me an ulcer come August, but in spite of everything they were in it up until the last few days of the regular season. Even though they were held together with duct tape and dreams, they nearly made it. Hope doesn't always have to come from achieving the ultimate goal. My hope this year came from their resiliency.

5. My fellow members of Red Sox Nation. We are crazy, irrational, and we refuse to give up. I have had the great pleasure of becoming really close friends with a number of you and I love you all. Thank you for being my Red Sox family.

6. My hockey girls. You're with me during warm up skates and you're with me at the bar afterward. Thank you for being there for the Roenick Luau and Disco Christmas and all the Winter Classic parties to come.

7. My family family. For putting up with my obsessions and obsessing over my sports teams and love me anyways. I love you all more than words can say.

I have a lot to be thankful for, but one more thanks to everyone who has read this far!

No comments:

Post a Comment