Saturday, July 17, 2010

Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss


I would like... if I may... to talk about legacies for a little bit. Everyone who follows sports or has had access to any sort of news outlet in the last week knows that Yankees owner George Steinbrenner passed away at the age of 80. It's been big news in Tampa since the Steinbrenner name and the Yankees themselves are very entrenched in the area. There's a George Steinbrenner high school, the Tampa Yankees are right across from the Buccaneers stadium and the mini-Yank stadium is the Yankees Spring Training site. Hell, even Derek Jeter is building an apartment building.. I'm sorry, house.. on Davis Island. Yankees are big business down here and it's well documented that I am a Red Sox fan. So, disclaimer. Anything I am going to say is not going to come without it's share of bias.

George Steinbrenner gave a hell of a lot of money to charity. I can definitely appreciate that. I think everyone can give to charity, and people with millions and millions of dollars should definitely help those in need. He turned the Yankees into what they are today... for better or worse. And that has definitely affected my baseball team in the giant rivalry that exists there.

That being said, just because someone is no longer with us does not mean that death acts as an eraser of any questionable or bad things they may have done. Dave Winfield, look it up. Steinbrenner was banned from baseball for life at one point. He made illegal campaign contributions to Nixon.

It is what it is, I suppose. I don't wish the man or his family ill and I do hope they find comfort in this trying time. Let's just all remember the whole story.

2 comments:

  1. He was just like everybody else; had his good sides and bad sides and as a Sox fan I despised the man. He also probably changed the face of baseball as much as any one man with the free agents he signed; I'm sure any past or present player appreciates what he did to salaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He probably engineered the ludicrous luxury tax so as to ward off an actual salary cap. I can find no redeeming features in the man and his record.
    /rant (again)

    ReplyDelete